A change request is a document containing a call for an adjustment of a system; it is of great importance in the change management process.
A change request is declarative, i.e. it states what needs to be accomplished, but leaves out how the change should be carried out. Important elements of a change request are:
- An ID
- Customer ID
- Deadline, if applicable
- Indication whether the change is required or optional
- Change type
- Change abstract, which is a piece of narrative (Keller, 2005).
Change requests typically originate from one of five sources:
- problem reports that identify bugs that must be fixed, which forms the most common source
- system enhancement requests from users
- events in the development of other systems
- changes in underlying structure and or standards (e.g. in software development this could be a new operating system)
- demands from senior management (Dennis, Wixom & Tegarden, 2002).
Additionally, in Project Management, change requests may also originate from an unclear understanding of the goals and the objectives of the project.
Remember that a change request template can increase your productivity and help you avoid misunderstandings.
The Change Request Template contains the following:
- Implications to the project plan
- Budget Implications
- Steering board recommendation
- Is professionally laid out
- Has the charts and tables you need
- Comes with step-by-step instructions
- Contains practical examples
- Includes tips & hints
Why use templates:
Project Managers often have various templates on their PC or laptop. When they start a new project, they sift through them trying to find something relevant, consuming valuable time and energy – only to have to start again from scratch when nothing suitable turns up.
That’s where this Project Management Template bundle is invaluable. For every project you’re involved with, you can simply open a template from the kit and start filling it in.
It saves you time and effort, and because each template has been professionally laid out, you can generate higher quality documentation as a result. Buy and download the Project Management Bundle today.
Change Request Template Review
Please leave us a comment on this template, so we can improve our products (namely, our change request template).